Tuesday, August 30, 2011

WESTERN DIGITAL ELEMENTS SE 500GB/GO


I got myself a Western Digital Elements SE  today. It is a 500GB external USB 2.0 portable hard disk. I had used up almost 70% of my notebook storage over some important things and crappy things as well. My notebook internal hard disk Is only 320GB in size, and divided into 2 partitions of 100GB and 200++ GB. After about 4 months, I had noticed that the notebook’s speed is creeping down on some stupid applications I am using. The internal hard disk is almost full with photos, books, articles and some other foolish stuff I picked up online. Maybe I need just to clean up those spaces and gain a little like 20-30GB back from it. I did that and I scrapped up only a measly 10++ GB only… superb. Now I had to buy thing again. I had already a 500GB 2.5” external hard disk on hand, which is also a Western Digital Scorpio Blue, but dead! I am yet to send them back for RMA (Return merchandise authorization). It had been dead for more than 3 months, but I’m just technically either too busy to pack it up and send it to Western Digital or too old to remember that I need to do that, every day for the past 3 months. Or maybe because I am aware that Western Digital is providing 3 years warranty for their hard disk, and the manufacturing date was on 26th July 2010. The thing was dead because of some USB voltage spike from another amplified device. I’m not pretty sure what it was it, since I was not there, but according to the responsible bloke it was plugged on a Home Theatre System. So I guessed it must’ve been from the HiFi or the amplifier or things like that, with not-so-stable voltage, like the bloke.
For RM180, the new WD Elements SE is quite OK considering that the internal-type, Western Digital 2.5” 500GB SATA hard disk is priced at RM169. So after adding like RM25 for an external USB 2.0 2.5” casing (the cheapest of the cheap), the cost would be more than buying the WD Elements.  Plus, we get all Western Digital’s USB 2.0 external device; the Western Digital’s hard disk, the Western Digital’s external case with Western Digital’s design and emblem and logos, the Western Digital’s Cable and also the Western Digital’s box which is quite nice to be used for… you know, mementos type of thingy (LOL) or light-artillery-shell which is thrown only to friends, who drop your bike.
Basically the design is simple and not much of different from other offerings in the external hard disk market. The WD Elements SE is black contoured plastic case, sleek and lustrous on its side, rubberized feet on one surface but also a little thick for a 2.5” hard disk. To be exact, about double the thickness. Maybe they had some extra foam inside. The hard disk was already pre-formatted and ready to use. The hard disk also produces less heat compared to my already-dead Western Digital Scorpio with a cheap aluminum based encasement (Yes, comparison made base on; when the hard disk was not dead yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment