Saturday, August 20, 2011

MAKTEC MT920 PALM SANDER

I am quite a handy man. I enjoy woodworking, home-improvements type of thing. Basically I’m not that good with woodworking, but I do enjoy cutting things with my circular saws and drilling something with my Black and Decker KR drill. I had the old office windows changed from the old Naco-glass windows, to the normal windows. In order to minimize the cost, I had to DIY almost entirely on this project. Amongst the heaviest task, was to cut and tailor the ready-made windows I’ve purchased earlier from the local hardware store. The purchased windows was about 2-3” oversized from the original windows frame. So I had to cut the excess using my trustee Skil Circular Saw. But then, since the user is not that skilled-handyman, the outcome was a horror. That’s where the Maktec Palm Sander comes into play. It’s a palm size portable sander. Powered by 180W motor, the sander won’t bog down for heavy duty spots that need extra sanding. Yes, we need a lot of sand papers. It took me months to used-up 10 sheets of sand papers before I had this MT920. Now, I can demolish 5 sheets within an hour.
The Maktec MT920, sports a red and black (on the grip) outlook. One may think it is another Black and Decker though. I believe it is China made, since it is cheap (I do not think this notion is healthy). By the way, Maktec is another by brand by Makita Corporation. Since Makita is well known for their heavy duty tools and power tools made for professionals, Maktec is their answer for DeWalt’s Black and Decker.
The sanding area is 4” x 4”, with a locking lever on both x and y axis. Therefor it would be no problem adjusting any size of sandpaper to fit into it. The design is quite simple with only one power button on the front side just below the grip. It is placed just nicely so that the index finger would be able to hit ON and OFF in a jiffy. The provided power cable is pretty short, thus making it hard to work on bigger subjects. I’ve finish 4 tables using this palm sander. It is quite a workhorse. It’s just the heat build-up that we need to consider upon running it non-stop for more than 20-30 minutes. Please note that running the sander without sandpaper may destroy the lower part of the sander itself. So be sure to read the general and specific safety guidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment