Friday, August 19, 2011

SAMSUNG OMNIA II I8000

I’ve purchased my Samsung Omnia II, from a forum-member. It was 1 month old used Singapore Set. I had it due to the positive reviews I read and collected beforehand. Unfortunately, I am not in agreement with all those positive verdicts, reviews and feedbacks I’ve seen online. Back in early 2010, there was this surge in popularity over Samsung Omnia phones, namely the Omnia range. As a normal human being, I am sucked into with this herd into buying this phone… and walaa, I get a slow-motion-capable Windows 6.5 base PDA. It was prices at a whooping RM1800.00 back then, and my set was price at RM1400.00.
Samsung Omnia II boasted the Amoled resistive touch-screen. It offers a sharp and clear display making it the best looking display (in my opinion) to date in a PDA. I have to agree with this, since I have tested it with movies and videos. The Samsung Omnia II offers a display way much sharper and clearer compared to my old Dell Precision M65. The manual says that the Omnia II is fitted with Accelerometer sensor for auto-rotate, but somehow I can’t get it to work unless for viewing movies. The 3G network works like a charm after a few sessions of video conference phone. As for the input, I have to say it was awful. The handwriting recognition can’t detect my hand writing, while the text input button keeps on miss-typing whatever things that I type unto it.
Storage is huge with Omnia II. 8GB internal storage provides ample space for videos, documents and Quran. Ironically, the phones still lags behind even without using much space and keeping the applications at all-time default. It has a 800MHz Samsung dedicated graphic Processor and it does not help either. It might be the Windows 6.5 OS. This is my 4th Windows based PDA, and I can say the best featured comparatively to my previous PDA (HP IPaq 6320, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1, Sony Ericsson Xperia X2, Samsung Omnia I900 16GB, O2 XDA Zinc and finally my funny Eten Glofiish X800). Samsung Omnia II is the slowest of them all. It may sound too harsh, but it is fact. Most of the time, I find it hard to answer a phone call within the 3rd rings. I also found it hard to reply to a text message with 60 seconds of receiving it. It is much funnier, when I am so in need to quickly taking note or something with it… I am lagging behind my buddy who is using a 50 cents pocketbook bought in Tesco.
The other setback was; I can’t find its threaded message feature which is highlighted in the specification. So I ended up, like using a normal cheap phone, on which I have to go through hundreds of text messages again and again, just to check to who am I texting. Misfired text was pretty common with Samsung Omnia II.
I like the stereo headset provided with the set. This is not funny though. Overtime, I found out that using headset over a period of 1 hour, might not become enjoyable anymore. Basically because of the design of that particular model which does not fit in to my ears-liking. Except with Samsung Omnia II headset! Upon selling the Omnia II, I am retaining the headset to be used with my Xperia X2. Unfortunately, I did not work out that well. The sound was distorted and mostly, I cannot hear a thing. Now, that’s strange since both of them are using a 3.5mm.

No comments:

Post a Comment